Bloody Words is Canada’s oldest and largest gathering of mystery readers and authors. Founded in 1999, the conference has become the June event to look forward to for people who enjoy genre conventions.
Lots to see and do
Whether you’re into capers or noir, police procedurals or amateur sleuths, historical mysteries or psychological suspense, cozies or thrillers…we have something for you at Bloody Words.
- Two guests of honour: one Canadian and one international
- A whole gang of authors, agents, other people connected with the book trade, and fans
- Panels and presentations covering everything from first novels to the latest in forensics
- The Mystery Cafe with pairs of authors discussing a topic germane to their books
- Sunday morning workshops to hone your writing skills
- A Sunday morning presentation that can be anything from a live radio play to a new-movie screening to a talk about converting a book to TV or film
- A scene of the crime room where you have to figure out whodunit
- A fun Friday night special event
Food & fun
- Friday evening opening reception
- Saturday night banquet with a presentation of the Bony Blithe Award, the Hammett Award, and the Bony Pete Award
Lots of loot
- Book bags crammed with goodies, including piles of books
- Dealers’ room with dealers selling your favourite books and much more
Services for authors
- An opportunity to pitch your book to an agent (by appointment only)
- Manuscript evaluation (additional charge)
- The Bony Pete short story contest
And all this for one price…and if you register early, you can save money, too!
Interested in having a Bloody Words in your city?
Bloody Words is run by a board of directors whose purpose is make sure the conference continues the high standards that have become associated with it. They are the ones to approach if you are interested in seeing Bloody Words come to your city. You will find lots of support, and the Gangsters Handbook spells out what is involved in forming your own Bloody Gang of criminous volunteers. Please Contact the Bloody Words board of directors.